19.03.11

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, it's yours truly after a very long late shift.
Did I mention that I will be in the hospital again in lemme see... 9 hours?
Anyway.

I wanted to tell something the whole week:

There was this 96 year old lady who was beyond cute. Every time she saw me she smiled and said: "I'm so glad to see you!" and she caressed my hand and smiled at me and I considered the possibility to adopt her.
I called her my piece of gold and stuff.
We could've lived happily ever after.
But yesterday evening she was spacy and agitated, mumbling things I could not understand.
Then she looked at me with her eyes wide open and said:
"The almighty lord is evil and he is unjust."
And I replied: "Why?"
And she answered: "Because we are evil and unjust. But not you. I am so fond of you."
I smiled and hold her hands for a couple of minutes until she calmed down.

Today I came to the ward bureau and we started our nursing hand over.
Someone said: "So, yeah, Mrs. S. died, she is still in her room because her relatives want so say goodbye, you have to take her to the morgue later."
I was like: "What?! She died? When?"
And she said: "This morning."
The handover continued and I had tears in my eyes.
Later I told my colleague P.
He said: "Well.. It's only human, isn't it?"
"Yeah.. I know, she was old and stuff.. We all gonna die someday.."
And he smiled and said: "No, you being sad is only human."

I work in the hospital for almost four years now and I still can't handle it.

1 Kommentar:

  1. That's because your only human. Don't lose it - but don't let it overwhelm you.

    A wise man once said that grief was the price we pay for love.

    I think that's right.

    AntwortenLöschen