17.01.12

Last Sunday night - Thank God it's morning!

So on Monday morning my last night-shift ended. The first two nights I've been with my mentor, the third night I've been all alone, the last night, a colleague came from eleven till half past twelve and from three to four o' clock to help me out.
Now I feel a little bit hungover, because my sleeping routine is a little bit disturbed.

One night, a patient who suffers from dementia rang the alarm bell and said: "Well.. I've been standing here for hours straight, I HAVE to go to bed now."
Tiny: "Um.. You are in your bed already."
Patient: "Nooo.. I'm standing here upright, I am really exhausted, I have to go to bed!"
Tiny: "Well.. If you are standing, what am I doing here?"
Patient: "You are standing as well."
It was pointless, there was no way to get to him. He's been really agitated all of the nights, everytime I heard a sound I rushed to his room, because I've been afraid that he might fell out of the bed or strangled himself with his foley catheter hose or whatever.

But I liked the night shifts. It's so different. And it's kind of funny to drive home when everybody else is rushing to work. Plus I felt like I have my days off, I slept till twelve, got up and the day just started. Maybe I should ask my boss to give me more night shifts.

In my last night, around four o' clock a patient showed up at my desk. She looked at the organ donor cards and said: "Well.. I guess I don't need one."
Tiny: "Why?"
Patient: "Everything is washed out inside of me... Hm.. Maybe except the liver. The liver should be fine, I guess."
Tiny: "Yeah, and I hope for you, that you will use your liver for a couple of years."
Patient with a dry laugh: "Yeah, I hope so myself."

Somehow I remembered the song "Last Friday Night" by Katy Perry but somehow the lyrics in my head were slightly different.

Patient's standing in his bed,
There's a pounding in my head

Feces all over the room
Guess he's all covered with his stool,

Someone smells like a minibar 
Grandma's passed out in the hall
Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well
It's a blacked out blur
But I'm pretty sure it ruled ..


Last Sunday night
Yeah I think we broke the law
Always say we're gonna stop-op
Whoa-oh-oah
This Sunday night
Do it all again
This Sunday night
Do it all again ...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen