12.05.13

Lip-reading

We have this patient, he's at our ward for over a month now.
The first days I really thought he would die but he recovered slowly but still he's a very bad case for nursing care. Can't move his arms and legs and stuff..
But he's nice.
I suck at lip reading but we get along pretty well. One day he had a cannula in his tracheostoma which made it possible to speak (but this is too exhausting for him, so we can only talk for a couple of minutes)
and he said: "This only happened to me because I smoked all my life. Fucking smoking."
I did not know what to say, I mean: It's no secret that smoking isn't very healthy, right?

So over the last week his condition worsened again, he's too weak to speak, his eyes are closed almost all the time.

Yesterday I helped my colleague who was taking care of him.
"Hello, it's Tiny, do you remember me? You're not feeling to well, aren't you?"
Head shaking.
"Do you remember how we talked last week?"
Nodding.
"Next week we can chat again, alright? I hope you will feel better then."

I know that this is not true.
 I think he will die.
And I think he knows.

But he smiles and opens his eyes for a second and tries to say something.

And even though I suck at lip-reading I recognize two words:

Thank you.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen