26.07.13




"I was thinking of my patients, and how the worst moment for them was when they discovered they were masters of their own fate.  It was not a matter of bad or good luck.  When they could no longer blame fate, they were in despair."  ~Anaïs Nin

The patient cries and cries and cries, like a baby, since she still needs ventilation you cannot hear a sound but seeing her face, twisted and distorted, really turns you down after a while.
She survived a heart surgery, she is still needy for intensive care but hey, she's not dead, she's awake and her family visits every day, trying to cheer her up.

I've been really patient. I tried to cheer her up too. But after a week of non stop whining, I lost my temper for a second.

"So many people would do anything to live and they have to die and you, you survived and this is how you value the gift of your life: you are whining all day, being totally miserable. 
You are whining when your family is here, you are whining when I am here, you are whining when you are all by yourself."  (I skipped the part where I wanted to say: "And besides, you are pretty much responsible for your own fate since you lived way too unhealthy, you are way too obese and you did not give a fuck about the responsibility of your on health in general.")

I don't know what to do, to make her see how lucky she's been, I don't think she is able to understand it. 

Even though her life changed by all means, there's still hope.
Or, to be a little bit more dramatic

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen