11.06.10

"I'm Helene"

Yesterday I entered the room of an old female patient to do the intake with her.
I smiled, gave her my hand and said: "Hello, I'm Tiny."
She shook it firmly and said: "And I'm Helene."
I thought she was a resolute old lady.
But when we talked about her previous illnesses she told me, that she was already a patient at our psychiatry.
Obviously I looked questioningly so she continued: "I've been there 30 years before when my mother died and only 4 months later my only child, my daughter died.
I always said that my mother took her away. This is her!"

She had a black/white picture of a smiling young girl with glasses on her bed table.

I was pretty shocked and did not know what to say so all I could was "A pretty girl."
I always feel so helpless when patients tell me something so intimate.
I don't have enough time to talk to them until they feel better but it's so inappropriate to say:
"Well... I'm very sorry your husband died yesterday but could you tell me if you have eupepsia?"

So what to do?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen