03.08.10

Wen the Eternally Surprised

A little part from the book "The Thief Of Time" by my alltime favourite author: Terry Pratchett.

This part is about Wen the Eternally Surprised:

"The first question of the reader was always:
"Why was he surprised eternally?"
And then he notices: "Wen thought about the nature of time and realized, that our universe is created new in every single moment. This made him realize that there is no such thing as past, there are only memories.
You blink with your eyes and suddenly there is a world which did not exist when your eyes were closed.
So Wen came to the conclusion that there is only one state of mind which is suitable:
Surprise.
And the only suitable state of mind for the heart is joy.

No one saw the sky you see right now ever before.
The perfect moment is now.
Be happy about it."

I've read it about 10 times until now and I like this part more and more every time.
Sorry for my poor translation though.

3 Kommentare:

  1. Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I like your translation, and I like the excerpt as well. Maybe I should finally read some Terry Pratchett...
    Which book would you recommend for someone new to the Pratchettverse?

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Macbest is always a good start.
    It was my first book from him as well.

    You can borrow it from me if you like.
    (For the unlikely case that you don't like it, you did not spend any money for it)

    AntwortenLöschen