24.02.10

The girl with the pocket watch

I'm pretty sure you've seen here before. She is a normal girl. Average size, average height, average clothes.

But maybe you've noticed her pocket watch.
She often carries it around in the palm of her hand. It's golden and looks pretty old. The numerics are in this antiquated, cursive font.

She always sits on the same bench in front of a bakery.
Her feet hanging loosely, she looks relaxed as if she is not waiting for anything in particular.

From time to time, when someone passes by in a complete hurry, looking terribly stressed, she looks at her pocket watch and winds it up. She smiles indulgent.

One day I passed her by, looking all sulky since I had a very bad day. She said: "What would you do differently if you could repeat this day?“
"Umm..I would get up earlier to see the sun rise, I think. Then I'd have a royal breakfast.I would not get mad about all the negative stuff going on. I would turn my my TV and my laptop off, I would call some friends I haven't talk with in a while. I would spend some time alone. Reading, thinking, walking around pointlessly.
I would do a lot of the things I am normally too busy for.“
She nods her head. „Sounds promising.“ She upwinds her pocket-watch.

I wake up. 'Geez.. It's so early. Didn't I set my alarm-clock for 6 o'clock?'
I get up. The newsman on the radio begins to talk.

'Wait a minute.. I know this.. He said the same things yesterday.. Maybe he got something wrong?'

After a look on my newspaper I am totally confused.
I got the same paper I received yesterday.

Am I nuts? Or dreaming? Is this some kind of joke or something? Hey, I could make pancakes for breakfast.. On my way home I see her watching the ducks. "How was your day?" "Really nice."
She smiles as usual.
"Fine."

One time I saw her talking to an old man.

Everyone in town knew him. He's the problem drinker, you know? Since his wife died things go downhill. She looks caring while she asks him something. He scratches his head and overthinks everything for a while. "7 years.“ He says. "7 years ago she's got run down by the bus because I was too drunk to drive her to work.“ Without causing any attention she winds her pocket watch up a couple of times.

I've never seen him again.
Nobody did.
But I heard that someone saw a couple living in the next small town who look very similar to this old man and his wife.

"Did you ever wind your pocket-watch up for yourself?"
She shakes her head.
"I can't. I tried it so often but it's not working. I don't mind, really. I have all the time in the world.“

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen