06.02.10

Little addition

Wasn't in the mood to write about it yesterday so there you go:

I helped at the change of a VAC-sponge.
(You know, those sponges which are put in bad healing wounds and stuff and which a connected with a vacuum pump..)
Ok, so the patient had also ESBL, so we were all covered in protection stuff.
She was not very old, maybe sixty,
she cried because she was scared.

The doc who did the change talked to her in a very friendly, calm way, which I really liked.
When she was under anaesthetic I asked him why she has such a huge wound going from her ribs down to her bellybutton.
He said: "Well, her vessels are really bad.
She always smoked a lot and now after the surgery she had, nothing heals properly."
I nodded.
He added: "This woman is much more sick than I thought.
I don't think that we can do anything for her. You can see her muscels down there,
actually these should be rosy and well supplied with blood.
They are not. They are pale and dry and look liked cooked chicken."
I asked:
"Isn't there any way to make the blood circulation work again?
And he shrugged his shoulders and answered: "Being reborn, maybe."

I can't stop thinking about her.
I hold her hand to calm her down when they narcotised her and she looked at me and said:
"Don't I know you? You were at the ICU, weren't you?
I don't want all this any longer.
This morning I woke up in a different room than I was in yesterday evening when I fell asleep."

Geez.. actually I don't think about situations like that much when I am at home (except when writing this blog) but this time..

Take care, folks, okay?

1 Kommentar:

  1. How sad... it was her own fault of course, and she's a good example of why you shouldn't smoke. But still, you wouldn't want this to happen to anybody, and smoking certainly doesn't make her a bad person. I hope there's an alternate ending to this story.

    I will if you take care of yourself too. :)

    AntwortenLöschen